Thursday, June 30, 2011

More Resources for English

Before taking this class I never used Google Docs (Google, 2011) to create documents but now I cannot get enough of it. It is useful to use Google Docs to create group docs or projects because the file is accessible from anywhere that there is internet. I think my students will find it useful when they are doing group projects and also I like the idea of creating personal rubrics per student. Although it seems like a lot of work it would beneficial for both me and my students to keep track of their progress and where they need to improve. Mostly I appreciate Google Docs because of the ease of use and the accessibility. It would be good for students who do not have access to their own computers or Microsoft Office because they can use school computers or library computers to access their docs and it saves under the user name and not on the computer which is safer in terms of work loss. Google docs rocks!

ReadWriteThink (IRA/NCTE, 2011) is a great website for educators. It has resources for teachers and professional development ideas. The resources include ideas for lessons which are unique and easy to apply. I think this would be beneficial to me because as an English Language Arts educator, writing and reading are standard for my practice but my students need to be able to do more and enjoy more out of it. A curriculum based on the basic reading and writing standard can be boring and uninspiring but ReadWriteThink offers ideas such as biographical activities that recommend role playing an authors life to understand the biography or catalogues of resources such as protest songs that can be explored and analyzed in historical context. I would like to further explore this website for student teaching because as a preservice teacher, I am going to need all the help I can get to come up with creative ideas for my students to enjoy and absorb what they are learning. I believe students need to have some fun in learning otherwise they do not gain anything from the lesson. ReadWriteThink will provide memorable lessons and that is why I would use it. 

Resources 

IRA/NCTE. (2011). Read write think. Retrieved from: http://www.readwritethink.org/

Google. (2011). Google docs. Retrieved from: docs.google.com

1 comment:

  1. Good job this week! Sounds like both of these sites will be beneficial to your future classroom for teaching/learning. The only minor issues I see with your post is (1) no citations are in the post - you need to include a citation for ALL references... so I should see an IRA/NCTE citation and a Google Citation at the end of a sentence when you first mention either tool.

    (IRA/NCT, 2011)
    (Google, 2011)

    Your references also need some additional formatting. The year of publication/last modification needs to be in parentheses. You are on the right track!

    ReplyDelete